The Spring which is bursting out all around is a balm for me in these troubled times. As is reaching out and making contact. So in this post, I am attempting to combine the two. I am inviting you, dear reader, to join with me in a collaborative poem in praise of Spring.
If you wish to take part, here’s what you do:
- If you can take a walk in an open space. If you can’t, open your window or step outside your front door.
- Open your senses and let them all assist you in observing nature. Notice shapes, colours, sounds, smells, textures, the taste of the air. Even in the most urban of settings, nature will be there, in the smallest weed, in the birdsong. Spend up to ten minutes drinking in nature.
- Write for ten minutes. Write freely without worrying about spelling, sentence construction or even making much sense. If you can, write by hand and let the words wander as they will across the page.
- Take a break of a minimum of an hour.
- Return to what you have written and choose words or sentences which appeal to you.
- Send me, either by email or in the comments section, up to three individual words or a sentence. Plus your name.
- Please do this by Sunday 19th of April.
I will then craft this into a collaborative poem which I will post on this blog in the weeks to come.
I hope you will find this takes you to a more pleasurable place. Be kind to yourself, be patient with yourself, enjoy!