I’m not a great one for new year. The enforced jollity and the commercialism doesn’t help, but also it doesn’t appear to fit with my own internal calendar. I am still in hibernation, occasionally poking my nose out of my burrow to gaze at the world with trepidation.
However, I know it is no bad thing to have a moment to take stock (see previous blog post) and have some tentative thoughts about the months to come. Since the beginning of this century, I can’t say my resolutions have changed much:
- Be kind to others and to myself;
- Cherish those around me who I find nourishing and let go of those who I don’t;
- Walk and take inspiration from the natural world;
- Be aware of, and involved in, what’s going on around me and in the world, without becoming overwhelmed by what I cannot change;
- Be nurturing to my writing and indulge my creativity.
I have less specific objectives for my writing than usual. I am in the middle of the Curtis Brown three-month novel writing course and I going to see where that leads me. I would like to find an agent and a traditional publisher for my fiction. So I am trying my best to put myself in the way of this possibility. I know I will always write, whether and how I might put my writing before an audience is currently less defined than it has been previously.
I have in mind charting this year through weekly collages. I know I enjoy the process of collage, it is something which eases my mind, so is part of indulging my creativity.
Have you any resolutions for 2017 for your writing? Do you find them useful?